Sometimes you have to just shake your head and call for the guys in the white uniforms and the butterfly nets:
The more people own guns, the more likely guns are to be used. If Cody wants to do something genuinely patriotic and helpful to her country, she should support gun control legislation.
I suppose it depends on how you define “patriotic”. If “genuinely patriotic and helpful to your country” means enabling genocide then she is absolutely correct:
- Quote from brief for amicus curiae association of American Physicians and Surgeons, Inc. in support of Respondent in D.C. v. Heller
- Quote from the book Lethal Laws on a 1928 German gun control law
- A brief refresher on genocide and gun control
- Gun control is a precondition of genocide
- Gun control and genocide in Guatemala
- Gun control and genocide in Russia
Update: Daughter Kim reminded me:
patriot, n. and adj.
1. a. A person who loves his or her country, esp. one who is ready to support its freedoms and rights and to defend it against enemies or detractors.
In early use, as in French and Dutch, chiefly with ‘good’, ‘true’, ‘worthy’, or other commendatory adjective: cf. ‘good citizen’. ‘Patriot’ for ‘good patriot’ is rare before 1680. At that time often applied to a person who supported the rights of the country against the King and court.