One has to wonder what the real purpose of publishing the names and a map of all the people that have a license to own a gun.
Let’s think about this a little bit. What would be the purpose of publishing the names and a map of the following people who are also exercising their constitutionally protected rights?
- All women who have had an abortion.
- All people of Jewish heritage.
- All Muslims.
- All people in an interracial and/or gay marriage (may not be constitutionally protected in all jurisdictions).
- All people who have written letters to the editor hostile to a government official or policy.
- All people with ancestors who were slaves.
- All people who are members of the ACLU and/or NAACP.
- All people who have invoked their right to have an attorney present when being questioned by the police.
- All people who have invoked their right to a jury trial when accused of a crime.
- All people that voted for Obama.
Certain rights are specifically enumerated and protected because they are known to be subject to disapproval and attack by certain people and government authorities. By publishing lists of people that have long been known to be at higher risk of disapproval and attack I can only conclude one thing. That information has a high likelihood of being used for criminal purposes by fanatics hostile to certain categories of people. Furthermore anyone that published such information would be highly suspect of intending the people on such a list to suffer adverse consequences for their exercise of their constitutionally protected rights.
Show me some data or a logical argument why my conclusions unfounded. Show me a reason why I should believe the people that would do such a thing have the best interests of the targets of such a list at heart. Show me why I would be unjustified in accusing them of desiring that harm come to the people on their list.