On Tuesday night, at age 91, my aunt* Mardell died. I have never met another person with the name of Mardell. I’ve been a bit sad and nostalgic the last few days.
There are a lot of other names from my childhood I which I have never, or extremely rarely, hear anymore. I probably will only rarely again hear them associated with any living person. For some reason they are almost all on my dad’s side of the family.
All children of my great grandfather:
Others of the same generation:
- Charlotte (my maternal grandmother)
- Van (my maternal grandmother’s husband for a while)
- Verna (my maternal grandmother’s middle name)
My dad, his cousins, friends, and neighbors:
- Clinton (as a first name)
Friends of mine growing up:
- Lethco (only person on this list who is still alive)
* Technically, she was not my aunt. However, my father’s mother was a sister to aunty Dell’s mother AND my father’s father was a brother to her father. Also, for several years, both families lived in the same household. Dad was an only child but he had three double cousins he grew up with. My brothers and I called these siblings of his uncles and aunt.
** Although this was just nickname for Patricia, I don’t know that I knew her
real name was Patricia until years after she had passed away.
*** I know someone who named their dog Sadie. But I don’t know any living humans with that name.