I couldn’t begin to count the number of times I’ve been told either directly or indirectly by anti-gun activists and politicians that nobody is going to take guns away from U.S. citizens. Frequently if you listen to them for another 30 seconds they will tell you the guns they plan to ban next. When confronted with this discrepancy they will tell you what they really meant was nobody was going to take all the guns away. And there is no slippery slope.
Yeah. That really puts me at ease.
I guess I should ignore little things like this police chief saying Americans can be completely disarmed within a generation.
Or political pundits outlining How to Ban Guns:
- The very first thing we need is a national registry. We need to know where the guns are, and who has them… I think about 6 months should be enough time.
- Make private sales illegal.
- Remember those ATF form 4473s? … So, we get those logbooks, and cross reference the names and addresses with the new national registry.
- Now that the vast majority are registered, we can do what we will. One good first step would be to close the registry to new registrations.
- An immediate, national ban on concealed carry.
- A ban on internet sales of guns and ammunition is a no brainer.
- I know this seems harsh, but this is the only way we can be truly safe. I don’t want my kids being shot at by a deranged NRA member.
If you read the fine print you will find he has zero regard for the Fourth Amendment as well as the Second. Neither are even identified as a speed bump in his grand plan.
The guy is clearly delusional as he apparently expects gun owners will willingly cooperate with the gun registration if they “make it super easy to do.”
And if his grand plan, with him given credit for it, were to be accepted and implementation began it’s unlikely his kids would be shot. I’m pretty certain all his worries would be very short lived. They would be very intense, but short lived.