Entries for Boomershoot 2020 have been significantly delayed due to technical difficulties. Some involved the hosting provider and some involved a false positive phishing claim on the entire Boomershoot.org domain by Google Chrome.
I have moved to a new hosting provider and will be abandoning Boomershoot.org. The new domain is Boomershoot.com which I probably should have been using all along. I’ve made good progress recently and am certain the remaining issues are “just work” rather than difficult problems.Boomershoot.com is now functional but has a few issues regarding bad links.
Last Monday the ATF came for a routine visit and the only issue of any significance is that I need to remove a branch from a tree that is about to grow into the side of the shed which houses the storage magazine. I had been planning to do this anyway and will take care of it before we store any explosive materials.
As a side note, the inspector will be retiring before her next scheduled visit. She told me that after she retires she will probably have something she would like to bring to Boomershoot and blow up. Clean up isn’t an issue with this item so it sounds good to me.
There were technical problems with the Internet connection for the shooting line web cam and the weather station itself. The Internet was working well when I left Idaho last Monday but is still flakey sometimes. The weather station is working most of the time. I suspect it has faulty hardware.
The weather station has a wireless connection to the “indoor” observer unit which does the actual upload to Weather Underground. When I’m on the local network I can connect to the observer and see that it has problems connecting to the exterior sensors. It had worked fine for many months but then it got flakey. Then it wouldn’t work at all. It is supposed to work at a distance of up to 300 feet and with my sensor only about 100 feet it should work. But I suspected the tall grass, particularly when wet, between the observer and the sensor was blocking the connection. I moved the sensor to within 10 feet of the observer unit (see the picture below) and it works much better but it still has problems sometimes. I need to contact the manufacturer and perhaps get a replacement.