There has been some blog and reddit posts about Antifa taking over part of the Capitol Hill area in Seattle:
- Seattle: Antifa now has its official city within the city. (UPDATE: They effing did it)
- Antifa Seattle releases it list of demands.
- I was not expecting to be this right this quick.
- ‘Welcome to Free Capitol Hill’ — Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone forms around emptied East Precinct — UPDATE
- Sawant and protesters — briefly — occupy Seattle City Hall as Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone grows — UPDATE
- Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone. Educational movie night.
- News reports about extortion in CHAZ
There are a few conventional media stories but not many:
- A look inside Seattle’s newly-formed ‘Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone’
- Police: Seattle demonstrators running checkpoints at CHAZ
- Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone
- Seattle protesters storm City Hall, demand mayor resign after driving police out of area, declaring autonomous zone
- Seattle protesters declare ‘cop free zone’ after police leave precinct
As I reported some of the links people have been sending me and what I have read on the blogs Barb kind of rolled her eyes.
25+ years ago Barb lived on Capital Hill. For another 20 years she worked not far from there. She describes the people who live there as “in transition”. “They’re mostly young and trying to figure out who they are.” That some people moved some barricades isn’t all that much out of character for that demographic. They think of themselves as revolutionaries but it’s more of an extended teenager rebellious phase they are going through.
Today I visited CHAZ. It’s kind of a nothing burger. I half expected checkpoints with masked armed people and snipers in windows and on the rooftops. I brought my telephoto lens and planned to take pictures from a block or more away. I worried about someone seeing me, multiple people flanking me, taking my camera, and/or hurting me. I hid my camera under my loose fitting flannel shirt.