Quote of the Day
A new study commissioned by the European Federation for Transport and Environment revealed that toxic emissions of sulfur oxides from 63 cruise ships belonging to Carnival Corporation were 43% higher than all the combustion engine vehicles in Europe. This stunning statistic comes as EU leaders have decided to ban small combustion engines for cars by 2035. But what about ‘green’ cruise ships? Only crickets…
“The most polluting cruise ship operator was MSC Cruises, whose vessels emitted nearly as much sulphur as all the 291 million cars in Europe. When looking at parent companies, as in our original 2019 report, the Carnival Corporation comes on top with the 63 ships under its control emitting 43% more sulfur oxides than all of Europe’s cars in 2022,” the study said.
July 6, 2023
Carnival Cruise Ship Emits More Toxic Fumes Than All Of Europe’s Cars, Study Finds
Although Barb and I have never been on a Carnival ship we have talked to several people about the various cruise lines. Carnival cruises has a reputation like the Yugo GV has in the world of luxury cars. Yeah, they are laughed at and made fun of. There is a reason the contempt:
- It’s Disgusting’: Stranded Carnival Passengers Take to Cell Phones (2010)
- Foul conditions aboard stranded Carnival cruise ship Triumph: Passengers describe ‘sewage running down the walls’ and people acting like ‘savages’ (2013)
- Nearly 4,500 Passengers Stranded on Carnival Cruise Ship Off Mexico (2015)
- Carnival cruise ship disaster leaves thousands of passengers stranded and ‘passing out’ in hot sun (2019)
- Carnival Corporation Says 6,000 Passengers Are Currently Stranded at Sea on its Cruise Ships (2020)
- Cruise ship still docked in San Francisco after hitting pier (2023)
If a cruise ship is in distress or the passengers are suing it is a safe bet to say it was a Carnival ship.
Carnival ships emit more pollution than all combustion engine vehicles in Europe combined? I’m only a little surprised.