It’s not something that I would want, but we’ve seen how, for at least the first couple days, we were left alone. There were no cops that would come around. So what are we to do? Just stand there and do nothing?
June 3, 2020
Armed Neighborhood Groups Form In The Absence Of Police Protection
[Via email from Rolf.
One of the biggest problems that I see with the situation is the reduced force continuum. They can’t make a citizens arrest when there are dozens or hundreds of rioters and looters. The options are:
- Presence. Be visible, observe and record the actions of the terrorists.
- Verbally warn the bad guys.
- Under certain circumstances use pepper spray.
- Warning shots.
- Shoot to stop.
When the terrorist are breaking windows and doors and looting can you legally shoot to stop them? If not, then the terrorists win. They will just walk through the force continuum available to you and it’s game over.
Email from Paul K. a few days ago:
My understanding is that, with rare exceptions, deadly force is unfortunately no longer permitted in defense of property.
It turns out that it depends upon the state. Here are a few links:
- DEADLY FORCE IN THE PROTECTION OF PROPERTY – A VERY RISKY BUSINESS
- Lethal Force: Can it Be Used In Defense Of Property?
Paul’s assertion does not appear to hold in Idaho and Washington.—Joe]