I-1639 is almost for certain going to be on the Washington State ballot this fall. This draconian initiative defines any semi-auto rifle as an “semi-auto assault rifle”. This includes those with tubular magazines firing .22 LR ammunition.
- Requiring a training, to be renewed every five years, for purchasing any semiautomatic rifle
- Requiring all semiautomatic rifle purchases to be approved by local law enforcement authority
- Applying the same process for purchases of all semiautomatic rifles as it currently exists for handguns – but without the exception for people with concealed pistol license and with a mandatory 10 day waiting period
- Amending that paperwork to state that owning guns is a danger to the purchaser
- Establishing a fee, up to $25 to fund all of the above
- Banning sales of semiautomatic rifles to out-of state residents
- Establishing the minimum age of 21 for purchasing semiautomatic rifles
- Banning possession of semiautomatic firearms for people under 21 outside their property boundaries
Oleg has a blog post and image for us:
Just say no to I-1639 and those who sponsor it.