Monday morning I called a surveying company, and they happened to have an opening Tuesday. I drove down to meet them and talk about what was there.
Short version: The internet lies, and I was a bit further off than she, but it’s 95% fixed now.
Talking to the surveyors, he said the aerial-photo online plat system is usually off by several feet, often up to ten. I’d use the country system because it looked like it lined up the one corner next to a tree pretty darn well. When I’d gotten to the property to put in the fence posts in June, there was also some old surveyors flagging on branches and trees that lined up with the line on the print-out almost exactly.
However, It was off by 6-8 feet, so the line of fence posts I’d put up, while matching with the country aerial photo system well, was more than a little off. Looking at the surveyed markers which had been put in this morning, it didn’t look good. On the other hand, the road wasn’t exactly perfect either, disturbing dirt in a half dozen places along where it ran, one of them encroaching a good six feet onto my property. OTOH, none of my trees were damaged. Basically, it shoved some dirt, rocks, sage brush, and some old dead logs around some.
So I ran posts next to and slightly back from the survey stakes, then ran wire, then put an extra T-post in between each of the others. The chainsaw wasn’t working (it’s a new one, and starts, but then won’t run for more than a minute or so) so I couldn’t cut through the heavy brush at one end. Got a rather gory gash on my knee from the barb-wire (couldn’t find and “barb-less barbed wire” anywhere around here). When I was tuckered out and it was getting late, I ran the line one more time (no idea how many times I walked that quarter mile) with the camera to get pictures of everything.
Handling a quarter-mile spool of barbed wire in brush and between trees on a hot day at boomershoot elevations just takes it out of you. I drank well over a gallon of Gatoraid / water and did have to pee until the drive home.
On the good side- chance of a lawsuit being necessary or successful either way are just about zero. She encroached a little, but did minimal real damage. I put in a fence, goofed but did no damage at all, and fixed it as promptly as could possibly be expected when she squawked (she called Sunday night, I had it surveyed and fixed by Tuesday afternoon), and I have witnesses (neighbors / helpers) that were there when I put the thing up the first time to attest to my good-faith intentions and information source (an inaccurate government source – go figure).
Don’t think I’ll need a lawyer at this point, but I’m open to being convinced.