For at least ten years gun owners, the police, and many others have been saying “ballistic fingerprinting” will not and cannot work (many of the links are dead but in January 2005 they were active, I include them anyway to give a hint at the number of people who were in agreement the system was doomed to failure):
- “Ballistic Fingerprinting” fails
- When “Ballistic Fingerprinting” fails
- CCRKBA SAYS MARYLAND REPORT ON BALLISTIC IMAGING SHATTERS GUN TRACKING MYTHS
- Ballistic Fingerprinting Doesn’t Work (Kim du Toit)
- Nation of Rifleman Forum (Kim du Toit)
- Why Ballistic Fingerprinting Doesn’t (and Won’t) Work (The Smallest Minority)
- That’s one expensive way to say “Duh!“ (the Hobbesian Conservative)
- Told ya (Say Uncle)
- The failure of so called “ballistic fingerprinting“ (More Eclipse Ramblings)
- Ballistic Fingerprinting Fails (Chaos-In-Motion)
- Updated: State Police Call for Shutting Down Maryland`s Ballistic “Fingerprinting” System (From the NRA-ILA)
- Erasing Ballistic Fingerprints (from June 28, 2000)
Millions of dollars and over a decade later the Maryland legislators finally admitted what we have been saying all along:
Millions of dollars later, Maryland has officially decided that its 15-year effort to store and catalog the “fingerprints” of thousands of handguns was a failure.
Since 2000, the state required that gun manufacturers fire every handgun to be sold here and send the spent bullet casing to authorities. The idea was to build a database of “ballistic fingerprints” to help solve future crimes.
But the system — plagued by technological problems — never solved a single case. Now the hundreds of thousands of accumulated casings could be sold for scrap.
But the computerized system designed to sort and match the images never worked as envisioned. In 2007, the state stopped bothering to take the photographs, though hundreds of thousands more casings kept piling up in the fallout shelter.
And now we all get to say, “I told you so”:
- It was doomed from the start because it was stupid
- Anti-Gun ‘Logic’ & ‘Common-Sense’ =……
- Maryland Scraps its IBIS System