March 16th is the six month anniversary of the first date between Barb L. and I. It is also the birthday of my soon to be ex-wife. Our first date was on September 16th. This is the birthdate of Barb L’s soon to be ex-husband.
This is but a small part of what Barb L. calls, “The vortex of Joe Huffman coincidence”. That should be “JoeH/BarbL” instead of “Joe Huffman” but she named it months ago and we are kind of stuck with the name at this point.
As RobertaX and many others have pointed out our brains are pattern matching engines and find “interesting things” where there really isn’t anything of particular significance. But still it’s fun to look at the patterns sometimes.
Within a minute or two of our first date Barb L. and I started noticing a plethora of coincidences between us:
- Her first and middle names are identical to that of my (soon to be ex-)wife.
- Her (I can’t wait until he is my ex-)husband is not named “Joseph”. That is the name of his identical twin.
- Her mother’s name was Josephine.
- Her son’s middle name is Joseph.
- She has a hand gesture that is identical to one used by daughter Xenia for the same circumstances.
- She spent time on a farm when growing up and even milked cows by hand like I did.
- She lives on the eastside of Lake Washington, as do I, and works in downtown Seattle about six blocks from where I work.
- Her mother’s birthday is the same as my wife.
- Her son’s birthday is the same as my wife’s sister.
- Her birthday is one day after my brother’s birthday.
- Her birthday is one day before my wife’s sister’s birthday.
- Both her mother and my wife’s mother were teachers.
- We both went to the University of Washington at the same time (but to be best of our knowledge we never saw each other).
Yes. I’m aware of the birthday paradox.
Anyway… we aren’t superstitious but every once in a while, we look around to see if there is someone filming us because it sure seems as if there is a script writer in the background someplace. And that guy that walked by as we were kissing around the corner at REI at one day at lunch time and said, “Don’t worry, no pictures were taken!” didn’t exactly reassure us that we aren’t acting out someone else’s script and we are being recorded on video for a reality show on Lifetime or something.