The Brady Campaign, named after Ronald Reagan assistant James Brady, wants to reboot the national conversation and part of that, it seems, means taking its name off the masthead. The group will launch a new website later tonight called wearebettterthanthis.org (it’s not live yet) that will play down its sponsorship by the Brady campaign.
The idea, he said, is rescue the debate from the poles on either side of the gun control issue.
Z. Byron Wolf
July 23, 2012
In Wake of Colorado Massacre, Gun Control Supporters Seek Reboot
- The Brady Campaign wants to “rescue the debate from the poles”. But aren’t they one of the “poles”?
- The domain appears to have been grabbed by someone in Switzerland before the Brady Campaign got it:
Created On:23-Jul-2012 21:49:15 UTC
Last Updated On:25-Jul-2012 09:46:52 UTC
Expiration Date:23-Jul-2013 21:49:15 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:1 & 1 Internet AG (R73-LROR)
Registrant Name:Andre Schneider
Registrant Organization:DomCollect AG
Registrant Street1:Zeughausgasse 9a
Registrant Postal Code:6300
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
- The Handgun Control and Brady Campaign main websites link to what appears to be a webpage with the same concept:
But the target page is still on the Brady Campaign site. And all the webpage does is ask you to sign a petition that will be forwarded to President Obama and Governor Romney:
As an American who was shocked and horrified by the mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado, I am committed to joining a meaningful conversation about how we can prevent the future loss of innocent life.
I appreciate the very appropriate expressions of sympathy for the victims from both of you. However, I think anyone seeking the highest office in our nation is responsible for doing more.
I am asking you to offer to the American people specific solutions that will prevent tragedies like this from continuing to happen in our nation — because, I firmly believe, we are:
[Image of people holding a sign saying “BETTER THAN THIS”.]
Compare the above to this from 1997 when they called themselves Handgun Control, Inc.:
Although 31 states have now denied their law enforcement officers discretion in the issuance of concealed weapon licenses, the gun lobby lost every attempt to further liberalize these systems last year.
Handgun Control, Inc. and their supporters were able to block shall issue in every state legislature that year.
- HCI became The Brady Campaign to get more public acceptance.
- The Brady Campaign attempted to hide behind an ambiguous domain name to “take its name off the masthead” so it won’t be as obvious they are behind.
- They fail to obtain the domain name they wanted.
- They proceed anyway with the web page on their own domain.
- A Federal judge says a valid reason to carry a concealed handgun is (paraphrasing), “because f*k you”.
If this were a business they would sell out to one of their competitors for about a fourth their annual gross sales and close up shop. But I suppose that isn’t really an option in this case. The only thing of value the Brady Campaign has these days is a few names on a mailing list and I suspect a good percentage of those are NRA and Second Amendment Foundation members trying to keep a watch on the anti-gun people.
Update: The link to their web site had a typo in it (in my original source). The statement about the domain being owned by someone else is not true. Whois reports the correct one was registered by Domains By Proxy, LLC via Go Daddy.—Joe]