Are you a sportsman? Do you like to shoot pistols at targets? Well then get on the subway and go to Maryland. There is no problem!
At what point does this right becomes infringed in Breyer opinion? What if there was only one city in the country that allowed the possession and use of a pistol in public. Suppose that one city was Barrow Alaska (300 miles NORTH of the artic circle) and that was only when there was a polar bear watch in effect (yes, they have polar bears roaming the streets sometimes). Is there still “no problem”?
As pointed out in comments to the above posts (note that Snowflakes in Hell is down and will be for at least a few more hours) this statement by Breyer can be shown to be irrational and inconsistent with the rest of the Bill of Rights by transforming the restricted object to be something other than a gun such as:
- So if we in Texas decide to ban Islam, and you want to practice that particular religion, then you should just go somewhere else to do it? (StanInTexas)
- Let’s make a law that all political speech by a Democrat is illegal in Texas. If a Democrat wants to make a political statement, they needs to go to New York or Oklahoma. (StanInTexas)
- If blacks wish to be served at the lunch counter, they simply must take the blacks-Only Bus to New York where they allow such things. (Weer’d Beard)
- Can’t get an abortion in Texas? Well just get on an airplane and fly to Maryland! No problem there right? (pete)
Here are some of my contributions to that meme:
- Are you in an interracial marriage? Do you like to live together? Well then get on the bus and go to San Francisco. There is no problem!
- Do you want a trial by jury? Then don’t commit a crime unless you live in Washington State. There is no problem!
- Do you want due process? Then move to Idaho. There is no problem!
- Do you want representation by a competent attorney? No problem—Just make sure his name isn’t Stephen Breyer.